Talk about Mama Africa: Somalian-born and Canadian-raised emcee K’Naan truly represents one of the most war-ravaged sections of his home continent. The “Dusty Philosopher” has seen firsthand the terrors of violence and deftly weaves his homeland’s agony in with the various strains of hip-hop music. On his new single, ABCs, K’Naan spits a grave tale over a synth-and-drum-driven beat from production duo Track and Field. His hometown doesn’t teach people the ABCs, but “only teach[es] us the things that guns do.,” denying its youth an education and leaving little room for anything but “life on the concrete.” To hear more of K’Naan’s stories, look for his new album, Troubadour, due out this January.
Written by Carly on 10/14/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Soobax ft. MWafrica & M-1" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.