Talk about Mama Africa: Somalian-born and Canadian-raised emcee K’Naan truly represents one of the most war-ravaged sections of his home continent. The “Dusty Philosopher” has seen firsthand the terrors of violence and deftly weaves his homeland’s agony in with the various strains of hip-hop music. On his new single, ABCs, K’Naan spits a grave tale over a synth-and-drum-driven beat from production duo Track and Field. His hometown doesn’t teach people the ABCs, but “only teach[es] us the things that guns do.,” denying its youth an education and leaving little room for anything but “life on the concrete.” To hear more of K’Naan’s stories, look for his new album, Troubadour, due out this January.
Written by Carly on 10/14/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Soobax ft. MWafrica & M-1" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)