As fun as it can be to splash around in one of the Midwest’s many murky lakes, the experience simply doesn’t stack up to a summer day spent watching the tide roll in and out on a sunny saltwater beach. Hailing from Detroit, Michigan, rising R&B star K’Jon is acutely aware of this lack—thus, on his Booth debut, the singer’s elected to treat his fellow Middle-Americans to a little breezy coastal ambiance. Originally released independently in late ‘07, On The Ocean has been selected as the official lead single off Jon’s forthcoming I Get Around LP, and it’s not hard to see why—backed by a mellow, bossa nova-flavored blend of piano and acoustic guitar, (courtesy of K’Jon and Proteus), this summer jam demands to be enjoyed with an umbrella drink in hand, and the singer’s ever-so-slightly weathered vocals drip with old-school soul. This is one hard record to dislike, and those looking for more infectiously sunny cuts will likely find what they’re craving on K’Jon’s major-label debut, set to drop August 4th via Up & Up/Universal Republic. In addition, stay tuned for this single’s Rik Cordero-directed music video, shot yesterday in Detroit.
Written by richard on 06/16/09
Submit your Rating
Up & Up/Universal Republic
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"This Time" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.