Kirby Maurier may be an R&B singer rather than a rapper, but that doesn’t mean she can’t represent (“...represent, represent!”) for classic hip-hop. On newly-leaked EP cut Da’ Lick, the South Florida songbird exhibits a knack for street storytelling that many rappers would envy, backed by one of ‘90s rap’s most memorable instrumentals. Over the pensive, Primo-produced beat from Illmatic inclusion Represent (Sampled, in case you were wondering, from Lee Erwin’s Thief of Baghdad), the singer soulfully outlines her meticulous plan for the heist of a lifetime. Southern N*ggas Ain’t Slow rhymesayer J NICS shifts the narrative into present-tense, chronicling the crime as it unfolds in a breathless closing verse. Do our modern-day Bonnie and Clyde make it out of the caper with their freedom, and their lives? You’ll just have to listen and find out. However the chips fall, one thing’s for certain: both R&B-lovers and hip-hop heads will find plenty to like on Kirby Maurier’s forthcoming EP, Class of ‘96. Watch for the project to arrive on the ‘net this Tuesday, February 14 (aka Valentine’s Day).
Written by richard on 02/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.