Kirby Maurier may be an R&B singer rather than a rapper, but that doesn’t mean she can’t represent (“...represent, represent!”) for classic hip-hop. On newly-leaked EP cut Da’ Lick, the South Florida songbird exhibits a knack for street storytelling that many rappers would envy, backed by one of ‘90s rap’s most memorable instrumentals. Over the pensive, Primo-produced beat from Illmatic inclusion Represent (Sampled, in case you were wondering, from Lee Erwin’s Thief of Baghdad), the singer soulfully outlines her meticulous plan for the heist of a lifetime. Southern N*ggas Ain’t Slow rhymesayer J NICS shifts the narrative into present-tense, chronicling the crime as it unfolds in a breathless closing verse. Do our modern-day Bonnie and Clyde make it out of the caper with their freedom, and their lives? You’ll just have to listen and find out. However the chips fall, one thing’s for certain: both R&B-lovers and hip-hop heads will find plenty to like on Kirby Maurier’s forthcoming EP, Class of ‘96. Watch for the project to arrive on the ‘net this Tuesday, February 14 (aka Valentine’s Day).
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.