Kirby Maurier may be an R&B singer rather than a rapper, but that doesn’t mean she can’t represent (“...represent, represent!”) for classic hip-hop. On newly-leaked EP cut Da’ Lick, the South Florida songbird exhibits a knack for street storytelling that many rappers would envy, backed by one of ‘90s rap’s most memorable instrumentals. Over the pensive, Primo-produced beat from Illmatic inclusion Represent (Sampled, in case you were wondering, from Lee Erwin’s Thief of Baghdad), the singer soulfully outlines her meticulous plan for the heist of a lifetime. Southern N*ggas Ain’t Slow rhymesayer J NICS shifts the narrative into present-tense, chronicling the crime as it unfolds in a breathless closing verse. Do our modern-day Bonnie and Clyde make it out of the caper with their freedom, and their lives? You’ll just have to listen and find out. However the chips fall, one thing’s for certain: both R&B-lovers and hip-hop heads will find plenty to like on Kirby Maurier’s forthcoming EP, Class of ‘96. Watch for the project to arrive on the ‘net this Tuesday, February 14 (aka Valentine’s Day).
Written by richard on 02/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.