Sonny Shotz and Alex Mendoza of Kings Dead Don’t Need Much in this world; if they’ve got homies who are loyal unto death, the opportunity to hustle round the clock in pursuit of their dreams, and a Grammy award on their table, they’re happy. OK, perhaps they are asking a lot—but if they keep releasing records on par with their latest feature, they richly deserve all of the above. The first of four weekly tracks leading up to the Boston duo’s Utopia LP, this cut is an appealing combo of the ambitious and the down-to-Earth. Over Mendoza’s production, an upbeat, keyboard-led groove seasoned with choral backing vocals, Shotz adopts an attitude of gratitude regarding his current situation, while looking forward to even brighter days ahead. Like what you’re hearing? Then be sure to tune in next Monday for another fresh song release off the crew’s forthcoming album. Kings Dead is currently touring nationally with Midwestern phenom Chuck Inglish. Click here to learn when they’ll be visiting a city near you.
Written by richard on 11/4/13
Member Reviews and Ratings
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.