Previously known as The Dean’s List, Alex Mendoza and Sonny Shotz have transformed from straight-A students into rebels against the crown since last we saw them. ‘94, the duo’s first feature as Kings Dead, features a harder-edged sound to match their freshly-minted moniker. Over Mendoza’s aggressive percussion and eerie choral synths, Shotz lets us know exactly how high his sights are set, boldly comparing himself to the Ready to Die-era Biggie Smalls. Rand Rosenberg directs official visuals. These Boston buzzmakers have ambition to burn, but have they got the skills to become hip-hop royalty? We’ll get a better idea come May 28, when their Revenge of the Beast LP drops digitally.
Written by richard on 04/23/13
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)