Previously known as The Dean’s List, Alex Mendoza and Sonny Shotz have transformed from straight-A students into rebels against the crown since last we saw them. ‘94, the duo’s first feature as Kings Dead, features a harder-edged sound to match their freshly-minted moniker. Over Mendoza’s aggressive percussion and eerie choral synths, Shotz lets us know exactly how high his sights are set, boldly comparing himself to the Ready to Die-era Biggie Smalls. Rand Rosenberg directs official visuals. These Boston buzzmakers have ambition to burn, but have they got the skills to become hip-hop royalty? We’ll get a better idea come May 28, when their Revenge of the Beast LP drops digitally.
Written by richard on 04/23/13
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.