With the Outkast member back in the spotlight thanks to stellar solo debut Sir Lucious Left Foot, the title of DMV rapper (and exclusive freestyle series alum) Kingpen Slim‘s latest feature is bound to bring Big Boi‘s ‘03 chart-topper to mind. And if you weren’t thinking about it before, you are now. Regardless, this The Way You Move (making its world premiere in the Booth!) is an entirely different track, based around an entirely different sample, featuring entirely different collaborators – and it’s pretty damn dope in its own right. Here Team Demo cook up a soulful, brass-laced backdrop for loosely relationship-themed bars from the headliner and a few talented cohorts: D.C. neighbors Wale and Phil Adé sound right at home here, lacing the record with energetic but laid-back braggadocio, and Philly-by-way-of-ATL representative STS adds a little contrast to the track, lacing his portion with some reedier, Southern-influenced flows. Craving more fresh tunes from this DMV buzzmaker? You won’t have to wait long – Kingpen’s latest mixtape, The Beam Up 2: So Cinematic, hits the net on August 30.
Written by richard on 07/8/10
Submit your Rating
Beam Up Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Make 'Em Envy" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.