An infamous drug lord may seem like an odd person to dedicate a song to, but that’s exactly what Kingpen Slim and dancehall artist Edley Shine have done with their latest leak, (premiering right here right now) 21 Gun Salute, a tribute to Jamaican drug lord Christopher “Dudus” Coke, whose recent arrest served as the catalyst to a violent rebellion from the people who considered Coke more of a benefactor to the community than a negative influence. Or at least that’s what the intro would have us believe. The truth is, once the track begins in earnest with a looped, darkly shining beat from DJ JButtah, Slim and Shine spend more time on their own coke-pushing inclinations than Coke’s, but no matter which way you cut it - “Cut it”? Get it? Nevermind - 21 Gun’s gritty, street level feel is a night-and-day difference from Slim’s previous offering The Way You Move. With versatility like this, there’s no telling what Kingpen’s upcoming free album, The Beam Up 2, will sound like when it drops via DJBooth. You’ll just have to wait until August 31 to find out.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/23/10
Beam Up Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Make 'Em Envy" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.