An infamous drug lord may seem like an odd person to dedicate a song to, but that’s exactly what Kingpen Slim and dancehall artist Edley Shine have done with their latest leak, (premiering right here right now) 21 Gun Salute, a tribute to Jamaican drug lord Christopher “Dudus” Coke, whose recent arrest served as the catalyst to a violent rebellion from the people who considered Coke more of a benefactor to the community than a negative influence. Or at least that’s what the intro would have us believe. The truth is, once the track begins in earnest with a looped, darkly shining beat from DJ JButtah, Slim and Shine spend more time on their own coke-pushing inclinations than Coke’s, but no matter which way you cut it - “Cut it”? Get it? Nevermind - 21 Gun’s gritty, street level feel is a night-and-day difference from Slim’s previous offering The Way You Move. With versatility like this, there’s no telling what Kingpen’s upcoming free album, The Beam Up 2, will sound like when it drops via DJBooth. You’ll just have to wait until August 31 to find out.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/23/10
Beam Up Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Make 'Em Envy" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.