An infamous drug lord may seem like an odd person to dedicate a song to, but that’s exactly what Kingpen Slim and dancehall artist Edley Shine have done with their latest leak, (premiering right here right now) 21 Gun Salute, a tribute to Jamaican drug lord Christopher “Dudus” Coke, whose recent arrest served as the catalyst to a violent rebellion from the people who considered Coke more of a benefactor to the community than a negative influence. Or at least that’s what the intro would have us believe. The truth is, once the track begins in earnest with a looped, darkly shining beat from DJ JButtah, Slim and Shine spend more time on their own coke-pushing inclinations than Coke’s, but no matter which way you cut it - “Cut it”? Get it? Nevermind - 21 Gun’s gritty, street level feel is a night-and-day difference from Slim’s previous offering The Way You Move. With versatility like this, there’s no telling what Kingpen’s upcoming free album, The Beam Up 2, will sound like when it drops via DJBooth. You’ll just have to wait until August 31 to find out.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/23/10
Submit your Rating
Beam Up Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Make 'Em Envy" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.