Behind (almost) every musical superstar lies many long years of hard work and sacrifice. Nonexistent job security, red-eye flights, endless nights spent recording while your friends party… let’s just say the life of a hip-hop hopeful isn’t a walk in the park. On his first solo feature, DMV emcee Kingpen Slim (previously heard on PHZ-Sicks’ Make ‘Em Envy) explains that, when the going gets toughest, he’s sustained by the knowledge that at any moment he may be only “16 Bars away from greatness.” DJ J Buttah‘s midtempo bells and synths set an appropriately pensive mood as Slim pours out his heart, looking back on past troubles and forward to his impending success. Complete with a fresh, soulful chorus by Raheem Devaughn, this track has a real, introspective vibe that should strike a chord with listeners in the Booth, but does Kingpen Slim really have what it takes to break through to the big leagues? Only time will tell. If you think he might, you’ll most definitely want to check out his The Beam-Up mixtape (released in late ‘09, available online), as well as keeping it locked for the latest details on The Beam Up 2, dropping sometime this summer.
Written by richard on 03/23/10
Submit your Rating
Beam Up Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Make 'Em Envy" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.