Behind (almost) every musical superstar lies many long years of hard work and sacrifice. Nonexistent job security, red-eye flights, endless nights spent recording while your friends party… let’s just say the life of a hip-hop hopeful isn’t a walk in the park. On his first solo feature, DMV emcee Kingpen Slim (previously heard on PHZ-Sicks’ Make ‘Em Envy) explains that, when the going gets toughest, he’s sustained by the knowledge that at any moment he may be only “16 Bars away from greatness.” DJ J Buttah‘s midtempo bells and synths set an appropriately pensive mood as Slim pours out his heart, looking back on past troubles and forward to his impending success. Complete with a fresh, soulful chorus by Raheem Devaughn, this track has a real, introspective vibe that should strike a chord with listeners in the Booth, but does Kingpen Slim really have what it takes to break through to the big leagues? Only time will tell. If you think he might, you’ll most definitely want to check out his The Beam-Up mixtape (released in late ‘09, available online), as well as keeping it locked for the latest details on The Beam Up 2, dropping sometime this summer.
Written by richard on 03/23/10
Submit your Rating
Beam Up Ent.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Make 'Em Envy" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.