King Reign‘s last feature, Promo, offered listeners a hint of what the Toronto emcee can accomplish when he goes all-out on the lyrical tip. On freshly-minted follow-up Chemical Romance, he anchors his razor-sharp pen game to a more concrete concept, and the results are equally impressive. Over the atmospherically understated production of Agile, Reign takes a page from Slick Rick‘s book, spinning a tragic ‘hood narrative starring a prostitute and her pimp. As if that weren’t enough, he ties the track together with a smooth, sung hook. Chemical Romance will be a part of Reign’s forthcoming album, Sincere, due out July 14.
Written by richard on 07/3/14
Toronto hip-hop fanatics are likely already acquainted with local emcee King Reign, whether through his work in Juno-nominated crew BrassMunk or his collaborations with the likes of Drake and Saukrates. The rapper insists,...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.