On The Town, a standout track off 2012’s My Everlasting Zeal LP, King Mez assured listeners that it was just a matter of time before he joined the ranks of hip-hop royalty: “I see that crown like it’s gotta be mine” (I mean, “King” is in his stage name.) A couple years down the line, he’s one of the most buzzed-about names on the Raleigh scene, and he’s looking to expand his kingdom. On Pt. 2, the rising rap star celebrates his achievements to date and expresses an undiminished desire to succeed: “I could never take an L / I’m between you and the W, I’m like the letter V though.” iSHi mans the mixing boards, backing the emcee’s imperious bars with distorted guitar riffs and quirky vocal samples. (I’m not sure whether that’s a woman’s scream or a gobbling turkey, to be honest.) If this record didn’t make it onto forthcoming full-length Long Live The King II, I can only imagine how dope the material that did make the cut will sound. The aforementioned project is currently unscheduled, but we’ll keep you posted as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 03/25/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.