On The Town, a standout track off 2012’s My Everlasting Zeal LP, King Mez assured listeners that it was just a matter of time before he joined the ranks of hip-hop royalty: “I see that crown like it’s gotta be mine” (I mean, “King” is in his stage name.) A couple years down the line, he’s one of the most buzzed-about names on the Raleigh scene, and he’s looking to expand his kingdom. On Pt. 2, the rising rap star celebrates his achievements to date and expresses an undiminished desire to succeed: “I could never take an L / I’m between you and the W, I’m like the letter V though.” iSHi mans the mixing boards, backing the emcee’s imperious bars with distorted guitar riffs and quirky vocal samples. (I’m not sure whether that’s a woman’s scream or a gobbling turkey, to be honest.) If this record didn’t make it onto forthcoming full-length Long Live The King II, I can only imagine how dope the material that did make the cut will sound. The aforementioned project is currently unscheduled, but we’ll keep you posted as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 03/25/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)