On his last solo feature, fall 2011’s Reign, King Mez took some time out to savor the sweet taste of success after so many arduous, heart-hardening years on the grind. Far from resting on his laurels however, the North Carolina fave got straight to scheming about how to take his hustle to the next next level. The latest single off his forthcoming full-length finds the freestyle alum forging ahead toward the Promised Land of rap superstardom, driven ever onward by The Allure of fame, fortune and luxury goods. Hip-hop heavyweight J. Cole holds his First in Flight State neighbor down on the production tip, combining his trademark piano loops with cinematic strings and subtle chopped vocal samples. Mez comes with rhymes to match the pensive instrumental, expressing his supremacy over the competition and his determination to put his people on in verses that glitter with intricate, innovative turns of phrase: “Ain’t no need to flow, n*gga. ‘Rain,” says the weatherman / Leave that job to me, pimpin’—flash-flood veteran / Never ride with n*ggas only chill with who they better than / Imaginin’ the crowns on my sisters and my brethren.” Complete with the atmospheric hook vocals of Drey Skonie, this is just one of many quality jams set for inclusion on My Everlasting Zeal. Keep it locked for release details on the set, as well as the latest tunes.
Written by richard on 04/10/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.