Hip-hop may not recognize royal bloodlines, but anyone who’s heard King Mez rock the mic can tell you that the North Carolina native was born for this sh*t. Today, the Booth fave lays his claim to the throne with album leak The Rebirth—a joint which, I feel obligated to note, has nothing to do with, nor anything in common with a certain rap heavyweight’s disastrous rock album of the same title. E. Jones mans the boards, serving up a bombastic, brass-sampled beat fit for rap royalty as the freestyle series alum exults in his success, looking back on the long road behind him: “God gave me hella weight, most couldn’t carry this, but I persevered and I been a king ever since.” And, just in case the headliner’s tightly-wound bars aren’t enough to fill your recommended daily allowance of lyrical fire, Brooklyn underground mainstay Skyzoo grabs the mic to showcase his world-class pen game on the back. King Mez’ next project, My Everlasting Zeal, is scheduled to hit the ‘net in late fall/early winter. In the meantime, why not take a listen to The King’s Khrysis, available for free streaming and download in the Booth?
Written by richard on 06/15/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.