Son….I love it when things come full circle. Back in 2010, I had the pleasure to witness a man-child spit well-grown thoughts all over the mic at Ruckus Pizza in Raleigh, NC. He was King Mez then and he’s even more of an authority now, dropping a The DJBooth worthy new single, Monte Carlo. A Chevy-heavy piece whose scratch and rip sound pays homage to the style of Houston’s late DJ screw, Mez makes an organized mess of Commissioner Gordon‘s production in such a way that any listener would yell “Ay, run that back!” His erratic flow is steady, with country grammar all over the beat: “If you throwing hands/understand/you betta not hit that flo”—a representation of the young emcees background and method of maintaining in the south. Cuts by DJ Flash heighten Commish’s stacked sound of drums, making this joint download ready for the El Dorado. Oh yes, I’m from the Carolinas too…diamond-in-the-back style. Salute the King and check for Mez’s upcoming album, My Everlasting Zeal, a must download for the hip-hop faithful.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down to view the Fearless Promotion-directed Monte Carlo visual.
Written by Sigmund'sDope on 12/13/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.