Son….I love it when things come full circle. Back in 2010, I had the pleasure to witness a man-child spit well-grown thoughts all over the mic at Ruckus Pizza in Raleigh, NC. He was King Mez then and he’s even more of an authority now, dropping a The DJBooth worthy new single, Monte Carlo. A Chevy-heavy piece whose scratch and rip sound pays homage to the style of Houston’s late DJ screw, Mez makes an organized mess of Commissioner Gordon‘s production in such a way that any listener would yell “Ay, run that back!” His erratic flow is steady, with country grammar all over the beat: “If you throwing hands/understand/you betta not hit that flo”—a representation of the young emcees background and method of maintaining in the south. Cuts by DJ Flash heighten Commish’s stacked sound of drums, making this joint download ready for the El Dorado. Oh yes, I’m from the Carolinas too…diamond-in-the-back style. Salute the King and check for Mez’s upcoming album, My Everlasting Zeal, a must download for the hip-hop faithful.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down to view the Fearless Promotion-directed Monte Carlo visual.
Written by Sigmund'sDope on 12/13/12
I’ve had no shortage of music industry professionals tell me, in all seriousness, that they’re looking for artists who fit an exact profile. They identify a hot trend (auto-tune, swag rap, etc.) and hurry to replicate it...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)