Ready to feel old my fellow ‘80s babies? Incredibly, it’s been twenty years since LL Cool J dropped him seminal album Mama Said Knock You Out (that’s one tough Mama), and to celebrate the good folks over at kevinnottingham.com have been remixing every track from that seminal work. Our second featured track from the project, the first was Black Sunn & 810’s Mr. Good Bar, finds everyone’s favorite North Carolinian Paraplegic King Mez, along with (relative) newcomers Silent Knight and Cise Star, updating James Todd Smith’s Milky Cereal for the new millennium. As producer Jim B takes the original boom-bap production and smooths it out significantly, adding strings and a melodic bass line, lyrically Mez, Silent and Cise drop LL’s “cereal = women” concept in favor of a new school inspirational anthem. It may not be as good as the original (when is it ever?), but this Milky Cereal’s plenty delicious and nutritious in its own right. Mama Said Knock You Out (Remix Project) drops August 26, via, of course, kevinnottingham.com. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got a hot date with some Frosted Flakes.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/12/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.