Ready to feel old my fellow ‘80s babies? Incredibly, it’s been twenty years since LL Cool J dropped him seminal album Mama Said Knock You Out (that’s one tough Mama), and to celebrate the good folks over at kevinnottingham.com have been remixing every track from that seminal work. Our second featured track from the project, the first was Black Sunn & 810’s Mr. Good Bar, finds everyone’s favorite North Carolinian Paraplegic King Mez, along with (relative) newcomers Silent Knight and Cise Star, updating James Todd Smith’s Milky Cereal for the new millennium. As producer Jim B takes the original boom-bap production and smooths it out significantly, adding strings and a melodic bass line, lyrically Mez, Silent and Cise drop LL’s “cereal = women” concept in favor of a new school inspirational anthem. It may not be as good as the original (when is it ever?), but this Milky Cereal’s plenty delicious and nutritious in its own right. Mama Said Knock You Out (Remix Project) drops August 26, via, of course, kevinnottingham.com. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got a hot date with some Frosted Flakes.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/12/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.