The last time I wrote about King Mez he was busy giving other rappers Nightmares. Since then he’s been a constant here at DJBooth, and rightfully so. To keep the trend going, today we feature one of the stand-out cuts, From the South, off his DJBooth-sponsored EP The King’s Khrysis (which if for some mysterious reason you haven’t downloaded, you can cop here). Based on the title of the song you probably imagine a David Banner or Three 6 Mafia-esque banger, right? Wrong. People forget that North Carolina is (technically) the South and King Mez is dropping gems reppin’ his home state. Produced by Khrysis (did you forget the EP name?), From the South is a soulful headnodder complete with scratches from DJ Flash that makes you sway back and forth while Mez and fellow Carolinians Thee Tom Hardy, and Sean Boog drop off stellar verses about their skills and you guessed it, their residences. So sit back, press play, and enjoy NC at its best…and if you’ll be at SXSW check him out at the DJBooth x 2DopeBoyz x Last Rights’ showcase, The Rising.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 03/6/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.