The last time I wrote about King Mez he was busy giving other rappers Nightmares. Since then he’s been a constant here at DJBooth, and rightfully so. To keep the trend going, today we feature one of the stand-out cuts, From the South, off his DJBooth-sponsored EP The King’s Khrysis (which if for some mysterious reason you haven’t downloaded, you can cop here). Based on the title of the song you probably imagine a David Banner or Three 6 Mafia-esque banger, right? Wrong. People forget that North Carolina is (technically) the South and King Mez is dropping gems reppin’ his home state. Produced by Khrysis (did you forget the EP name?), From the South is a soulful headnodder complete with scratches from DJ Flash that makes you sway back and forth while Mez and fellow Carolinians Thee Tom Hardy, and Sean Boog drop off stellar verses about their skills and you guessed it, their residences. So sit back, press play, and enjoy NC at its best…and if you’ll be at SXSW check him out at the DJBooth x 2DopeBoyz x Last Rights’ showcase, The Rising.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 03/6/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.