The last time I wrote about King Mez he was busy giving other rappers Nightmares. Since then he’s been a constant here at DJBooth, and rightfully so. To keep the trend going, today we feature one of the stand-out cuts, From the South, off his DJBooth-sponsored EP The King’s Khrysis (which if for some mysterious reason you haven’t downloaded, you can cop here). Based on the title of the song you probably imagine a David Banner or Three 6 Mafia-esque banger, right? Wrong. People forget that North Carolina is (technically) the South and King Mez is dropping gems reppin’ his home state. Produced by Khrysis (did you forget the EP name?), From the South is a soulful headnodder complete with scratches from DJ Flash that makes you sway back and forth while Mez and fellow Carolinians Thee Tom Hardy, and Sean Boog drop off stellar verses about their skills and you guessed it, their residences. So sit back, press play, and enjoy NC at its best…and if you’ll be at SXSW check him out at the DJBooth x 2DopeBoyz x Last Rights’ showcase, The Rising.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 03/6/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)