The last time I wrote about King Mez he was busy giving other rappers Nightmares. Since then he’s been a constant here at DJBooth, and rightfully so. To keep the trend going, today we feature one of the stand-out cuts, From the South, off his DJBooth-sponsored EP The King’s Khrysis (which if for some mysterious reason you haven’t downloaded, you can cop here). Based on the title of the song you probably imagine a David Banner or Three 6 Mafia-esque banger, right? Wrong. People forget that North Carolina is (technically) the South and King Mez is dropping gems reppin’ his home state. Produced by Khrysis (did you forget the EP name?), From the South is a soulful headnodder complete with scratches from DJ Flash that makes you sway back and forth while Mez and fellow Carolinians Thee Tom Hardy, and Sean Boog drop off stellar verses about their skills and you guessed it, their residences. So sit back, press play, and enjoy NC at its best…and if you’ll be at SXSW check him out at the DJBooth x 2DopeBoyz x Last Rights’ showcase, The Rising.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- King Mez - Long Live the King
- Freeway x Girl Talk - Broken Ankles EP
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.