When a record or album is Untitled, you know what you’re gonna hear will be raw, real and straight from the soul. Which is weird, if you think about it—why pour out your deepest thoughts and feelings on a cut and then toss it in the can without giving it a proper name? Regardless, the latest leak off Killer Mike‘s forthcoming full-length follows this blueprint to a tee. Backed by the grimy, keyboard-driven grooves of underground veteran El-P, the Dungeon Family vet drops bars as gutter as they are are philosophically astute, tearing into government and organized religion as well as remarking on the power of both circumstance and divine providence to shape a human soul: “It takes a woman’s womb to make a Christ or Dalai Lama / The world might take a child, turn that child into a monster / The Lord’ll take a monster and fashion him a saint / I present you Malcolm X for those who sayin’ that He can’t.” In between Mike’s bars, Smoke and Ride Out singer Scar grabs the mic to deliver a soulfully gritty hook. Feeling it? More R.A.P. (Rebellious African People’s) Music awaits on Mike’s sixth full-length, scheduled to hit store shelves and online retailers May 15.
Written by richard on 03/19/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Look Back At It ft. Killer Mike" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.