When a record or album is Untitled, you know what you’re gonna hear will be raw, real and straight from the soul. Which is weird, if you think about it—why pour out your deepest thoughts and feelings on a cut and then toss it in the can without giving it a proper name? Regardless, the latest leak off Killer Mike‘s forthcoming full-length follows this blueprint to a tee. Backed by the grimy, keyboard-driven grooves of underground veteran El-P, the Dungeon Family vet drops bars as gutter as they are are philosophically astute, tearing into government and organized religion as well as remarking on the power of both circumstance and divine providence to shape a human soul: “It takes a woman’s womb to make a Christ or Dalai Lama / The world might take a child, turn that child into a monster / The Lord’ll take a monster and fashion him a saint / I present you Malcolm X for those who sayin’ that He can’t.” In between Mike’s bars, Smoke and Ride Out singer Scar grabs the mic to deliver a soulfully gritty hook. Feeling it? More R.A.P. (Rebellious African People’s) Music awaits on Mike’s sixth full-length, scheduled to hit store shelves and online retailers May 15.
Written by richard on 03/19/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Look Back At It ft. Killer Mike" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.