Considering Killer Mike‘s debut collaboration with El-P dropped in May of 2012, it could be said that new single Ghetto Gospel and its official video are a little bit late. Seen from another perspective, though, they’re right on time: with nearly two years of perspective, it’s the perfect time to return to the set with fresh ears. This thought-provoking jam certainly hasn’t lost any of its shine in the interim. Mike’s strident commentary on religion, materialism in the hip-hop game and the racism plaguing the American criminal justice system still hit home with fist-pumping force. The instrumental’s tonal shifts, from a dissonant electronic verse groove to a soulful chorus sampled from the Emotions’ Best of My Love, make an equally strong impression. If you’re feeling it, why not give R.A.P. Music another spin this afternoon (or a first spin, for those who still haven’t copped it)? Additionally, fans should be sure to check out Pew Pew Pew, the latest single from Killer Mike and El-P’s self-titled debut album as Run the Jewels.
Written by richard on 01/16/14
The story of Killer Mike’s career is the story of non-fu*k giving. When Mike first came onto the national stage Snappin & Trappin alongside Outkast he had the cojones to call his own verse a classic, a move some considered...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Look Back At It ft. Killer Mike" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.