What if gangsta rap were a video game? I would imagine it’d be a Sonic the Hedgehog-esque platformer—the levels would be set in inner-city streets across America, where you’d avoid the police and other obstacles, collecting money and other useful objects along the way. Then again, I probably wouldn’t be the best person to ask what exactly “Gangsta Rap: The Video Game” would be like; Killer Mike, however, might have a few ideas on the subject. On In My City, a record found on both the recently-released Greg Hustle (Vol. 1) mixtape and Killa’s forthcoming Grand Hustle debut, Mike details a scenario that would seem perfectly at home in such a game. DJ Don Cannon backs Mike’s rhymes with some catchy, funk-influenced boardwork, and Forrest City Prison-based rapper T.I. even steps up to the mic to deliver some rapped hook vocals. Hey, maybe Tip can contribute ideas for a prison level in our hypothetical game—the possibilities are really endless!
Written by Dr. D on 07/16/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Look Back At It ft. Killer Mike" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.