While watching the news last night, I was surprised that Fox News, Sarah Palin, and several others were upset that Common was going to be visiting the White House. The first thought in my head was how much they would flip if other rappers had been invited? Can you even imagine what kind of sh*t storm Fox News would brew if an educated and controversial rapper like Killer Mike was invited? Not to get on my political tip, but it’s hard to avoid it when Mike is brought up. The Morehouse graduate continues his lyrical (and controversial) reign of terror with the stand-out cut, Blind Justice, from his latest release of Bang x3. Jumping straight into action like a stunt double, Mike immediately starts destroying the competition while maintaining a deeper message, all over the DJ Toomp produced beat. With horns blaring that also somehow maintain a subtle ambiance, Mike goes thru several topics in the three minutes and forty-one seconds. While maintaining a balance of educated and fierce, the ATL native sums it all up with one line: “I read books but I’m a crook, baby, indeed.” Bang x3 dropped as a warm-up to Mike’s upcoming album, Pl3dge, due out May 17.
Written by Ivan Ibarra on 05/12/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Look Back At It ft. Killer Mike" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.