In a genre built on comparisons, Killer Mike, or Mike Bigga, whichever you may prefer, is the modern day Ice Cube. Yes, while we’re aware Cube is still around, I’m referring to Death Certificate-era Cube and not Are We There Yet Cube. Mike’s latest leak, At The Top, is the kind of chest pounding gorilla pimp talk that makes me believe that if Mike were in the Royal Wedding, he would have left the bride at the altar. Credit producer Lil C for giving Mike the sort of bouncy pulpit that elicits both head nods and “I told you so” looks from former players, looking at their now non-single friends. Never afraid to speak his mind, Killa Kill from the Ville drops rewind-worthy lines, including a not so subtle point about how the Nas and Kelis fiasco has affected his thoughts on marriage. Mike’s slickness proves he’s one of hip-hop’s most underrated and considering we’re getting a freebie in mixtape Bang x3, out May 10, before his album Pl3dge drops May 17, I’ll be shouting Grind Time Rap Gang Bang Bang Bang from the rafters.
Written by Brando on 05/1/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Look Back At It ft. Killer Mike" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.