There are many ways of honoring the memory of the departed: praying, leaving flowers or stones by a gravestone, lighting candles at a shrine, or just fondly reminiscing about the good times. Personally, though, I’d much prefer it if my friends and loved ones skipped the solemnities and simply celebrated my life by partying and imbibing excessive amounts of liquor. Kidz in the Hall know what I’m talking about; on the latest single off their senior set, the Chi-town duo pay proper tribute to a couple late hip-hop legends: We gon’ get drunk, Pour It Up for Pimp C / If we got enough time we gon’ smoke for Biggie.” Backed by partner Double-O‘s clattering rhythm section Naledge comes with braggadociously witty, occasionally juvenile (“You’s a butthead, peepee from my bunghole”) lyrical flames. As if that weren’t enough, two Down-South heavyweights take over on the record’s latter two thirds: UGK lifer Bun B brings his outsized swag to the middle, and David Banner brings the cut home with a namedrop-packed closing 16. Like what you’re hearing? Then keep it locked for the latest tunes leading up to the Nov. 22 arrival of the Kidz’ fourth LP, Occasion.
Written by richard on 10/9/11
Submit your Rating
Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Drivin Down The Block" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)