There are many ways of honoring the memory of the departed: praying, leaving flowers or stones by a gravestone, lighting candles at a shrine, or just fondly reminiscing about the good times. Personally, though, I’d much prefer it if my friends and loved ones skipped the solemnities and simply celebrated my life by partying and imbibing excessive amounts of liquor. Kidz in the Hall know what I’m talking about; on the latest single off their senior set, the Chi-town duo pay proper tribute to a couple late hip-hop legends: We gon’ get drunk, Pour It Up for Pimp C / If we got enough time we gon’ smoke for Biggie.” Backed by partner Double-O‘s clattering rhythm section Naledge comes with braggadociously witty, occasionally juvenile (“You’s a butthead, peepee from my bunghole”) lyrical flames. As if that weren’t enough, two Down-South heavyweights take over on the record’s latter two thirds: UGK lifer Bun B brings his outsized swag to the middle, and David Banner brings the cut home with a namedrop-packed closing 16. Like what you’re hearing? Then keep it locked for the latest tunes leading up to the Nov. 22 arrival of the Kidz’ fourth LP, Occasion.
Written by richard on 10/9/11
Submit your Rating
Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Drivin Down The Block" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.