This week’s serving of Brain Candy, The Kidz in the Hall’s new weekly series, simply pays homage to “the dope sh*t.” With contributions from New Orleans’ Curren$y and the always-thoughtful Mikkey Halsted, Pledge Allegiance to the Dope details a life of luxury: making dope music and sipping only the dopest champagne. The first verse to glide over DJ Double O’s hazy guitar riff and 80s pads is courtesy of Curren$y, who gives us snapshots of what it’s like to be him (wait till you see what he does with Polar bear rugs). Next on the mic is Freestyle Alum Naledge, showcasing some intricate wordplay and coldly dissing one of my favorite chill spots: “I make bread, never gotta eat at Applebee’s.” (Can that 2 for $20 deal be beaten? I think not.) The last verse comes from Halsted, who talks less about luxury and more about dope - the noun. There’s not a whole lot of substance to Pledge, but there’s a good chance the guitar riff in it will be stuck in your head for days to come. Those whose allegiances also rest with “the dope” can look forward to next week’s addition of Brain Candy. Keep it locked.
Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Drivin Down The Block" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.