This week’s serving of Brain Candy, The Kidz in the Hall’s new weekly series, simply pays homage to “the dope sh*t.” With contributions from New Orleans’ Curren$y and the always-thoughtful Mikkey Halsted, Pledge Allegiance to the Dope details a life of luxury: making dope music and sipping only the dopest champagne. The first verse to glide over DJ Double O’s hazy guitar riff and 80s pads is courtesy of Curren$y, who gives us snapshots of what it’s like to be him (wait till you see what he does with Polar bear rugs). Next on the mic is Freestyle Alum Naledge, showcasing some intricate wordplay and coldly dissing one of my favorite chill spots: “I make bread, never gotta eat at Applebee’s.” (Can that 2 for $20 deal be beaten? I think not.) The last verse comes from Halsted, who talks less about luxury and more about dope - the noun. There’s not a whole lot of substance to Pledge, but there’s a good chance the guitar riff in it will be stuck in your head for days to come. Those whose allegiances also rest with “the dope” can look forward to next week’s addition of Brain Candy. Keep it locked.
Written by CourtlandHH on 01/31/11
Submit your Rating
Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Drivin Down The Block" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.