This week’s serving of Brain Candy, The Kidz in the Hall’s new weekly series, simply pays homage to “the dope sh*t.” With contributions from New Orleans’ Curren$y and the always-thoughtful Mikkey Halsted, Pledge Allegiance to the Dope details a life of luxury: making dope music and sipping only the dopest champagne. The first verse to glide over DJ Double O’s hazy guitar riff and 80s pads is courtesy of Curren$y, who gives us snapshots of what it’s like to be him (wait till you see what he does with Polar bear rugs). Next on the mic is Freestyle Alum Naledge, showcasing some intricate wordplay and coldly dissing one of my favorite chill spots: “I make bread, never gotta eat at Applebee’s.” (Can that 2 for $20 deal be beaten? I think not.) The last verse comes from Halsted, who talks less about luxury and more about dope - the noun. There’s not a whole lot of substance to Pledge, but there’s a good chance the guitar riff in it will be stuck in your head for days to come. Those whose allegiances also rest with “the dope” can look forward to next week’s addition of Brain Candy. Keep it locked.
Written by CourtlandHH on 01/31/11
Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Drivin Down The Block" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)