Oft imitated but never equaled, the DJBooth Freestyle Series ran from February 2009 through June 2011. Its 250 total entries were the work of a veritable who’s-who of underground and emerging emcees, including rising stars like Kendrick Lamar, Wiz Khalifa and Mac Miller. Now, it’s back for a second round.
The 29th entry in the relaunched series comes courtesy of Kidd Upstairs, the Golden State rapper/producer who recently won reader acclaim for Descent. On Newman, the unsigned artist showcases his skills on both sides of the boards, spitting braggadocious bars over his own throbbing percussion and 8-bit synths. Fred Lozano provides original artwork to accompany the freestyle.
Next on Kidd Upstairs’s agenda is independent full-length KVSHMIR II. Keep it locked for further details on the project, which is slated to drop sometime in the next few months.
Written by richard on 09/4/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.