Best draw a bath before you listen to Kidd Upstairs’ latest feature; the record’s so Grimey! you’ll want to wash up afterward. In stark contrast to July’s Believe, which found the Los Angeles-by-way-of-Oakland emcee reflecting on his self-doubts as well as his lofty ambitions, this cut is all about that cocky sh*t. Cryptically-named beatsmith (i.e.) mans the mixing boards, pairing muscular brass chords with a repeated vocal sample as Kidd touts his razor-sharp flows, his animal magnetism and his fly fashion sense. Will the bravado he exhibits here prove as appealing as the more vulnerable vibe of his reader-acclaimed debut? As always, the decision rests with you. Kidd has yet to announce plans for a forthcoming project, but fans of this unsigned buzzmaker can keep it locked for the latest news and tunes.
Written by richard on 12/19/12
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.