As far as genre-melding goes, the fusion of hip-hop and bhangra really isn’t that much of a stretch. Both rely heavily on rhythm and percussion, and each has its own dance component that has evolved symbiotically along with it. While the combination has yet to gain mainstream appeal in the USA, artists like Kid Skilly are doing their best to help it along. His new single, Motor City Punjab, is a half English, half Punjabi pop jam. The Mexican-Indian Detroit native’s vocals fall somewhere between singing and rapping, and come across as a sort of festive chant. Producer DJ Robby contributes a Detroit beat with a Far East twist. Motor City Punjab will appear on his new mixtape, UnderCover SuperStar Mixtape, available on September 11.
Written by Charlie E. on 08/24/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Ni Sohniye ft. Akon" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.