As far as genre-melding goes, the fusion of hip-hop and bhangra really isn’t that much of a stretch. Both rely heavily on rhythm and percussion, and each has its own dance component that has evolved symbiotically along with it. While the combination has yet to gain mainstream appeal in the USA, artists like Kid Skilly are doing their best to help it along. His new single, Motor City Punjab, is a half English, half Punjabi pop jam. The Mexican-Indian Detroit native’s vocals fall somewhere between singing and rapping, and come across as a sort of festive chant. Producer DJ Robby contributes a Detroit beat with a Far East twist. Motor City Punjab will appear on his new mixtape, UnderCover SuperStar Mixtape, available on September 11.
Written by Charlie E. on 08/24/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Ni Sohniye ft. Akon" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.