As far as genre-melding goes, the fusion of hip-hop and bhangra really isn’t that much of a stretch. Both rely heavily on rhythm and percussion, and each has its own dance component that has evolved symbiotically along with it. While the combination has yet to gain mainstream appeal in the USA, artists like Kid Skilly are doing their best to help it along. His new single, Motor City Punjab, is a half English, half Punjabi pop jam. The Mexican-Indian Detroit native’s vocals fall somewhere between singing and rapping, and come across as a sort of festive chant. Producer DJ Robby contributes a Detroit beat with a Far East twist. Motor City Punjab will appear on his new mixtape, UnderCover SuperStar Mixtape, available on September 11.
Written by Charlie E. on 08/24/08
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Ni Sohniye ft. Akon" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)