As far as genre-melding goes, the fusion of hip-hop and bhangra really isn’t that much of a stretch. Both rely heavily on rhythm and percussion, and each has its own dance component that has evolved symbiotically along with it. While the combination has yet to gain mainstream appeal in the USA, artists like Kid Skilly are doing their best to help it along. His new single, Motor City Punjab, is a half English, half Punjabi pop jam. The Mexican-Indian Detroit native’s vocals fall somewhere between singing and rapping, and come across as a sort of festive chant. Producer DJ Robby contributes a Detroit beat with a Far East twist. Motor City Punjab will appear on his new mixtape, UnderCover SuperStar Mixtape, available on September 11.
Written by Charlie E. on 08/24/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Ni Sohniye ft. Akon" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)