Just how many guest verses can you fit into one remix without breaking the five-minute mark? On his first Booth feature, Inglewood emcee Kida attempts to answer that very question. With a whopping nine verses (counting the headliner’s bars) and a 4:38 runtime, this version of mixtape track Holla! is about as packed as a late-sixties telephone booth. Seige‘s minimal boardwork (featuring samples from Missy Elliot‘s hit single Get Ur Freak On) sets the stage for a parade of big names. After Kida’s opener Busta Rhymes, Rapper Big Pooh and Phonte of Little Brother, Kurupt, Crooked I, Talib Kweli, Jay Rock, and Willie B. each get their eight bars in the spotlight. Just about everyone should be able to find something to like here, but a few questions remain – the first, obviously, being “Who comes out on top?” Second, and perhaps more importantly, does this star-studded remix leave the headliner enough room to make an impression on first-time listeners? As always, Booth readers get to be the jury. If you like what you’re hearing, download a copy of Kida’s DJ Skee-presented The Endemic mixtape when it hits the ‘net later this month.
Written by richard on 11/2/09
Submit your Rating
Oso Reel Ent/a.Fam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"What Is It Now" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.