No, the latest DJBooth feature from Kida doesn’t feature the West Coast representative talking us through the history of blues music from the early 20th Century to today—as dope as that would undoubtedly be. Instead, Blues 101 offers a crash course on the Cali rhymesayer’s deepest personal struggle and anxiety. The aptly-named Smokey Beatz mans the boards, flipping a moody jazz sample as the Inglewood native looks back at his father’s untimely death in the streets, juxtaposing those painful memories with bars depicting his relationship with his own son. This poignant jam is currently unattached to any forthcoming project but, if you’re feeling it, you can keep your browsers locked to The DJBooth for he latest from the West Coast buzzmaker.
Written by richard on 11/5/12
Submit your Rating
Oso Reel Ent/a.Fam
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Holla! (Remix)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.