At what point do we start to worry that Kid Cudi’s sophomore album won’t be nearly as good as his first? Sorry, let me back up. This weekend we were hit with a new Cudi leak, Mojo So Dope, that, while not officially confirmed, is widely assumed to be off his highly anticipated sophomore album Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager. I’ll be fascinated to see how the hardcore Cudi heads respond to Mojo, but personally speaking, like past efforts RevOfEv and to a lesser extent Erase Me, I feel underwhelmed. On the production side Emile drops a sample-centered, hazy beat that Cudi fills, somewhat paradoxically, with lyrics about how much better his swag is than yours, and how alienated and angry he is, all delivered in his trademark quasi-sung flow. It’s not that I think it’s a bad track, it just feels like we’ve been here before, we heard this before. Or is it just me? We’ll find out for sure if Cudi can deliver another exceptional opus, as well as if Mojo’s on the album at all, when it drops September 28.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/1/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Is There Any Love ft. Wale" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)