At what point do we start to worry that Kid Cudi’s sophomore album won’t be nearly as good as his first? Sorry, let me back up. This weekend we were hit with a new Cudi leak, Mojo So Dope, that, while not officially confirmed, is widely assumed to be off his highly anticipated sophomore album Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager. I’ll be fascinated to see how the hardcore Cudi heads respond to Mojo, but personally speaking, like past efforts RevOfEv and to a lesser extent Erase Me, I feel underwhelmed. On the production side Emile drops a sample-centered, hazy beat that Cudi fills, somewhat paradoxically, with lyrics about how much better his swag is than yours, and how alienated and angry he is, all delivered in his trademark quasi-sung flow. It’s not that I think it’s a bad track, it just feels like we’ve been here before, we heard this before. Or is it just me? We’ll find out for sure if Cudi can deliver another exceptional opus, as well as if Mojo’s on the album at all, when it drops September 28.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/1/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Is There Any Love ft. Wale" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.