At what point do we start to worry that Kid Cudi’s sophomore album won’t be nearly as good as his first? Sorry, let me back up. This weekend we were hit with a new Cudi leak, Mojo So Dope, that, while not officially confirmed, is widely assumed to be off his highly anticipated sophomore album Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager. I’ll be fascinated to see how the hardcore Cudi heads respond to Mojo, but personally speaking, like past efforts RevOfEv and to a lesser extent Erase Me, I feel underwhelmed. On the production side Emile drops a sample-centered, hazy beat that Cudi fills, somewhat paradoxically, with lyrics about how much better his swag is than yours, and how alienated and angry he is, all delivered in his trademark quasi-sung flow. It’s not that I think it’s a bad track, it just feels like we’ve been here before, we heard this before. Or is it just me? We’ll find out for sure if Cudi can deliver another exceptional opus, as well as if Mojo’s on the album at all, when it drops September 28.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/1/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Is There Any Love ft. Wale" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- D’Angelo Changed My Life & “Black Messiah” is Already a Classic
- J. Cole is the Most Important Voice in Music
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.