Kid Cudi owes much of his success to his widespread appeal. In addition to having hip-hop nation on lock, or at least the stoner portion thereof, Mr. Solo Dolo attracts no shortage of hipsters and electro-heads. It seems only natural then that Cudi jumps head first into full-on rock territory on his new single Erase Me, a guitar and drums laden track produced by consummate hitmaker Jim Jonsin, who says he sampled a Duran Duran record for the beat, but lord knows I have no idea which one (anyone?). Vocally Cudi doesn’t rap, he doesn’t even do that half-rap/half-sing thing, he just sings, and the results are either off-key in a good kind of way, or just bad (depending on your personal tastes). To keep hip-hop nation engaged Kanye West also puts in an appearance, although I’m not sure rhyming “Maria” with “diarrhea” is exactly his best work. Considering Erase Me and previous offering RevOfEv, we should be prepared for Cudi’s upcoming album Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager to sound like, well, anything when it drops in September.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/18/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Is There Any Love ft. Wale" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.