Kid Cudi owes much of his success to his widespread appeal. In addition to having hip-hop nation on lock, or at least the stoner portion thereof, Mr. Solo Dolo attracts no shortage of hipsters and electro-heads. It seems only natural then that Cudi jumps head first into full-on rock territory on his new single Erase Me, a guitar and drums laden track produced by consummate hitmaker Jim Jonsin, who says he sampled a Duran Duran record for the beat, but lord knows I have no idea which one (anyone?). Vocally Cudi doesn’t rap, he doesn’t even do that half-rap/half-sing thing, he just sings, and the results are either off-key in a good kind of way, or just bad (depending on your personal tastes). To keep hip-hop nation engaged Kanye West also puts in an appearance, although I’m not sure rhyming “Maria” with “diarrhea” is exactly his best work. Considering Erase Me and previous offering RevOfEv, we should be prepared for Cudi’s upcoming album Man on the Moon II: The Legend of Mr. Rager to sound like, well, anything when it drops in September.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/18/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Is There Any Love ft. Wale" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.