In late January, Meek Mill stepped into the Booth with Heaven or Hell, a mixtape single whose Beat Bully-produced instrumental prominently sampled Luniz’s I Got 5 on It. Looks like he’s not the only one who’s had that R&B classic running through his head lately. Today, singer/songwriter Khleo Thomas introduces himself with his own hip hop-infused version of the ‘95 hit. By way of a deft double-entendre, the singer transforms the joint into an ode to the female posterior: “Hands on that ass, I got 5 on It.” Beatsmith Bugsy retools the sample for maximum twerk-ability, fortifying the rhythm section with handclaps and a booming kick. Fans will be able to find 5 on It and many more nostalgic jams on the artist’s Raised in the 90’s EP, which currently awaits a release date.
Written by richard on 02/26/14
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.