When Khary Durgans stepped into the Booth with his last feature, his choice of an Atlas over Google Maps led our own Lucas G. to speculate that the Rhode Island representer was trapped in the 20th century. I can see his point, but I’d revise that to “19th century,” given Khary’s preferred mode of transportation. On new mixtape single The Dock, the artist discusses his quest for hip-hop superstardom by analogy not to air travel, but to sailing. Nautical themes aside, though, this joint is as refreshing as an ocean breeze. Big Wild mans the boards, crafting an expansive, brass-sampled backdrop for bars expressing the emcee’s unstoppable drive to succeed. Complete with a soulful chorus by singer/songwriter Smithsoneon, The Dock is jut one of many quality cuts to be found on the artist’s Love & Anchors LP, due out in February 2014.
Written by richard on 10/9/13
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.