A 17-year old rap buzzmaker who calls A-Town home, Kevin Abstract makes his first foray into The DJBooth with SAVE, a promotional single premiered earlier this week via Pigeons and Planes. On this hazy, downtempo jam, Romil‘s muted guitar noise and languid rhythm section set the stage for introspective bars from the Alive Since Forever crew member. Though the disconnected nature of Kevin’s autobiographical recollections (“I was 15 when I realized the damage / I was 16 when I moved to Atlanta”) makes his rhymes feel a little, well, abstract, the cut’s enigmatic vibe doesn’t detract from the emotional impact of lines like, ”You think it’s wrong for me to die? I’ve been dead my whole life.” Lontalius‘s spectral guest vocals heighten the melancholy mood. Details have yet to be announced on the project to which SAVE will be attached, but we in the Booth will keep you posted as further information emerges.
Written by richard on 04/4/14
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.