I once read an article in my high school newspaper claiming that songs over three minutes fundamentally can’t be good. I didn’t know the author, but I’m positive he was an idiot. I can only hope that if he had heard Kevin Abstract‘s DRUGS today, he would realize the gross misstep in his article. On the Alive Since Forever emcee’s latest single, we get a complete arc of the young artist’s life regarding his use of drugs. The production from Romil switches between a club banger beat and an airy, softer production to match the Brockhampton resident’s demeanor when he’s under the influence (AKA in IDGAF mode) and when he’s sober and apologetic. The whole song slows down half way through as we audibly witness Kevin’s maturation and decision to stay sober after watching a girl go down the same, dark path as him. Music like this allows for maximum fan involvement and that’s always a good thing. DRUGS will be on Kevin’s upcoming, untitled album, due out June 24.
Written by Bryan H on 05/7/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.