I once read an article in my high school newspaper claiming that songs over three minutes fundamentally can’t be good. I didn’t know the author, but I’m positive he was an idiot. I can only hope that if he had heard Kevin Abstract‘s DRUGS today, he would realize the gross misstep in his article. On the Alive Since Forever emcee’s latest single, we get a complete arc of the young artist’s life regarding his use of drugs. The production from Romil switches between a club banger beat and an airy, softer production to match the Brockhampton resident’s demeanor when he’s under the influence (AKA in IDGAF mode) and when he’s sober and apologetic. The whole song slows down half way through as we audibly witness Kevin’s maturation and decision to stay sober after watching a girl go down the same, dark path as him. Music like this allows for maximum fan involvement and that’s always a good thing. DRUGS will be on Kevin’s upcoming, untitled album, due out June 24.
Written by Bryan H on 05/7/14
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)