I once read an article in my high school newspaper claiming that songs over three minutes fundamentally can’t be good. I didn’t know the author, but I’m positive he was an idiot. I can only hope that if he had heard Kevin Abstract‘s DRUGS today, he would realize the gross misstep in his article. On the Alive Since Forever emcee’s latest single, we get a complete arc of the young artist’s life regarding his use of drugs. The production from Romil switches between a club banger beat and an airy, softer production to match the Brockhampton resident’s demeanor when he’s under the influence (AKA in IDGAF mode) and when he’s sober and apologetic. The whole song slows down half way through as we audibly witness Kevin’s maturation and decision to stay sober after watching a girl go down the same, dark path as him. Music like this allows for maximum fan involvement and that’s always a good thing. DRUGS will be on Kevin’s upcoming, untitled album, due out June 24.
Written by Bryan H on 05/7/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.