I once read an article in my high school newspaper claiming that songs over three minutes fundamentally can’t be good. I didn’t know the author, but I’m positive he was an idiot. I can only hope that if he had heard Kevin Abstract‘s DRUGS today, he would realize the gross misstep in his article. On the Alive Since Forever emcee’s latest single, we get a complete arc of the young artist’s life regarding his use of drugs. The production from Romil switches between a club banger beat and an airy, softer production to match the Brockhampton resident’s demeanor when he’s under the influence (AKA in IDGAF mode) and when he’s sober and apologetic. The whole song slows down half way through as we audibly witness Kevin’s maturation and decision to stay sober after watching a girl go down the same, dark path as him. Music like this allows for maximum fan involvement and that’s always a good thing. DRUGS will be on Kevin’s upcoming, untitled album, due out June 24.
Written by Bryan H on 05/7/14
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.