Kero One‘s Booth debut, featured way back in October 2010, found him taking a long, hard look at the Kinetic World around him as he chronicled his struggles to balance his desire for currency with his values and artistic vision. On What Am I Supposed to Do?, the lead video single off his next album, the Korean-American rhymesayer broadens his vision beyond his own hustle, painting a picture that’s simultaneously bleaker and more hopeful than on the aforementioned cut. Here, the San Francisco native showcases a production sensibility as smooth and self-assured as his mic presence, crafting a breezy, head-noddable beat (complete with languid guitar licks by Gyrefunk) to back him as he catalogs the social, economic and political ills pervading our society. And you’ve got to admire his thoroughness; how many other rappers could tackle American colonial genocide, the contemporary connection between greed, poverty and crime, and natural disasters in 16 short bars? On his guest hook, Suhn proposes a simple (yet challenging) solution to all of the above: love one another, and the rest will take care of itself. If this insightful jam leaves you craving more, you can expect plenty more food for thought on Kero’s yet-untitled forthcoming full-lengh, due out sometime this summer.
Written by richard on 04/19/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.