Kero One‘s Booth debut, featured way back in October 2010, found him taking a long, hard look at the Kinetic World around him as he chronicled his struggles to balance his desire for currency with his values and artistic vision. On What Am I Supposed to Do?, the lead video single off his next album, the Korean-American rhymesayer broadens his vision beyond his own hustle, painting a picture that’s simultaneously bleaker and more hopeful than on the aforementioned cut. Here, the San Francisco native showcases a production sensibility as smooth and self-assured as his mic presence, crafting a breezy, head-noddable beat (complete with languid guitar licks by Gyrefunk) to back him as he catalogs the social, economic and political ills pervading our society. And you’ve got to admire his thoroughness; how many other rappers could tackle American colonial genocide, the contemporary connection between greed, poverty and crime, and natural disasters in 16 short bars? On his guest hook, Suhn proposes a simple (yet challenging) solution to all of the above: love one another, and the rest will take care of itself. If this insightful jam leaves you craving more, you can expect plenty more food for thought on Kero’s yet-untitled forthcoming full-lengh, due out sometime this summer.
Written by richard on 04/19/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Adrian Lau - The Departed
- T.I. ft. Young Thug, Lil Wayne & Jeezy - About The Money (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Nikki Jean - Haile Selassie
- Every Logic Song We’ve Ever Featured
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- Drake - 6 God EP
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.