While her latest album No Boys Allowed has performed decently Keri Hilson is still looking for that one monster hit to catapult her back into music’s elite (a la Knock You Down and Turning Me On). Could it be new single One Night Stand? In a word, maybe. Manning the boards is Charlie Bereal, who constructs what can only be described as a Timbaland-esque beat filled with rolling synths and (muted cow bell?) percussion. Whatever the influence, the beat’s hypnotic, and those not completely committed to maintaining their thug image will undoubtedly find their heads nodding. Of course, it also doesn’t hurt that Hilson delivers an engaging vocal performance, even if she does get somewhat overshadowed on her own record by Chris Brown, who continues his recuperation with some somewhat surprisingly grown man vocals. So how about it Booth nation; will this be the single that has Keri’s name on America’s lips again, or is it just another good-not-great offering from the hip-hop princess? Either way, those simply looking for good music should check out No Boys Allowed, out now.
Mosely Music/Zone 4/Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Help ft. Keri Hilson" (2006)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.