While her latest album No Boys Allowed has performed decently Keri Hilson is still looking for that one monster hit to catapult her back into music’s elite (a la Knock You Down and Turning Me On). Could it be new single One Night Stand? In a word, maybe. Manning the boards is Charlie Bereal, who constructs what can only be described as a Timbaland-esque beat filled with rolling synths and (muted cow bell?) percussion. Whatever the influence, the beat’s hypnotic, and those not completely committed to maintaining their thug image will undoubtedly find their heads nodding. Of course, it also doesn’t hurt that Hilson delivers an engaging vocal performance, even if she does get somewhat overshadowed on her own record by Chris Brown, who continues his recuperation with some somewhat surprisingly grown man vocals. So how about it Booth nation; will this be the single that has Keri’s name on America’s lips again, or is it just another good-not-great offering from the hip-hop princess? Either way, those simply looking for good music should check out No Boys Allowed, out now.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/23/11
Submit your Rating
Mosely Music/Zone 4/Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.