While her latest album No Boys Allowed has performed decently Keri Hilson is still looking for that one monster hit to catapult her back into music’s elite (a la Knock You Down and Turning Me On). Could it be new single One Night Stand? In a word, maybe. Manning the boards is Charlie Bereal, who constructs what can only be described as a Timbaland-esque beat filled with rolling synths and (muted cow bell?) percussion. Whatever the influence, the beat’s hypnotic, and those not completely committed to maintaining their thug image will undoubtedly find their heads nodding. Of course, it also doesn’t hurt that Hilson delivers an engaging vocal performance, even if she does get somewhat overshadowed on her own record by Chris Brown, who continues his recuperation with some somewhat surprisingly grown man vocals. So how about it Booth nation; will this be the single that has Keri’s name on America’s lips again, or is it just another good-not-great offering from the hip-hop princess? Either way, those simply looking for good music should check out No Boys Allowed, out now.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/23/11
Submit your Rating
Mosely Music/Zone 4/Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)