While her latest album No Boys Allowed has performed decently Keri Hilson is still looking for that one monster hit to catapult her back into music’s elite (a la Knock You Down and Turning Me On). Could it be new single One Night Stand? In a word, maybe. Manning the boards is Charlie Bereal, who constructs what can only be described as a Timbaland-esque beat filled with rolling synths and (muted cow bell?) percussion. Whatever the influence, the beat’s hypnotic, and those not completely committed to maintaining their thug image will undoubtedly find their heads nodding. Of course, it also doesn’t hurt that Hilson delivers an engaging vocal performance, even if she does get somewhat overshadowed on her own record by Chris Brown, who continues his recuperation with some somewhat surprisingly grown man vocals. So how about it Booth nation; will this be the single that has Keri’s name on America’s lips again, or is it just another good-not-great offering from the hip-hop princess? Either way, those simply looking for good music should check out No Boys Allowed, out now.
Written by Nathan S. on 02/23/11
Submit your Rating
Mosely Music/Zone 4/Interscope
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.