“Be yourself” is a piece of advice we’ve all been given but, when it comes right down to it, the vast majority of us will make certain concessions to fit in with the crowd. Not Kent M$NEY; as evidenced by his unconventional and ruggedly individualistic use of the dollar sign to stand in for the letter ”O,” the Surf Club member is all about blazing trails and doing things his way – as he puts it on his first feature, a standout cut off his debut EP, “You’re Nothing Like Me.” Booth fave (and freestyle series alum) Big K.R.I.T. handles production duties, crafting a catchy Chipmunk-sampled backdrop for his West Coast cohort’s unique blend of braggadocio and insight: “A prayer’s what I got, miracle of a baby / Life is what you make it, how spiritual of the lady.” On the back end, K.R.I.T. steps out from behind the boards to flaunt his mic skills and scold sucker emcees for their lack of “gumption.” So, has Kent M$NEY succeeded in setting himself apart from the pack? If you think so, you can hear more where this came from on the Cali up-and-comer’s Becoming EP, released August 2, and out now online.
Written by richard on 08/8/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.