“Be yourself” is a piece of advice we’ve all been given but, when it comes right down to it, the vast majority of us will make certain concessions to fit in with the crowd. Not Kent M$NEY; as evidenced by his unconventional and ruggedly individualistic use of the dollar sign to stand in for the letter ”O,” the Surf Club member is all about blazing trails and doing things his way – as he puts it on his first feature, a standout cut off his debut EP, “You’re Nothing Like Me.” Booth fave (and freestyle series alum) Big K.R.I.T. handles production duties, crafting a catchy Chipmunk-sampled backdrop for his West Coast cohort’s unique blend of braggadocio and insight: “A prayer’s what I got, miracle of a baby / Life is what you make it, how spiritual of the lady.” On the back end, K.R.I.T. steps out from behind the boards to flaunt his mic skills and scold sucker emcees for their lack of “gumption.” So, has Kent M$NEY succeeded in setting himself apart from the pack? If you think so, you can hear more where this came from on the Cali up-and-comer’s Becoming EP, released August 2, and out now online.
Written by richard on 08/8/10
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.