Looks like Robert Glasper isn’t the only jazz musician who’s been looking to hip-hop for inspiration of late. Kenneth Whalum III, a rising composer, arranger and tenor saxophonist hailing from the Big Apple, links up with Mississippi rhymesayer Big K.R.I.T. on Away, his latest promo single and first DJBooth feature. As you’d expect from the headliner’s skillset, the record features a high-caliber live-band backdrop; effervescent keys and sax collide with classic samples (The “Louder!” from Mountain’s Long Red makes an appearance) as Whalums showcases his considerable vocal talents. K.R.I.T. matches the beat’s pensive tone in his extended middle verse, reflecting on the emptiness of material success and revisiting the grief he experienced upon his grandmother’s passing. This self-released jam isn’t part of a larger project, but we’ll keep you posted on Whalum’s 2014 plans as further details emerge.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.