Looks like Robert Glasper isn’t the only jazz musician who’s been looking to hip-hop for inspiration of late. Kenneth Whalum III, a rising composer, arranger and tenor saxophonist hailing from the Big Apple, links up with Mississippi rhymesayer Big K.R.I.T. on Away, his latest promo single and first DJBooth feature. As you’d expect from the headliner’s skillset, the record features a high-caliber live-band backdrop; effervescent keys and sax collide with classic samples (The “Louder!” from Mountain’s Long Red makes an appearance) as Whalums showcases his considerable vocal talents. K.R.I.T. matches the beat’s pensive tone in his extended middle verse, reflecting on the emptiness of material success and revisiting the grief he experienced upon his grandmother’s passing. This self-released jam isn’t part of a larger project, but we’ll keep you posted on Whalum’s 2014 plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 01/13/14
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.