Looks like Robert Glasper isn’t the only jazz musician who’s been looking to hip-hop for inspiration of late. Kenneth Whalum III, a rising composer, arranger and tenor saxophonist hailing from the Big Apple, links up with Mississippi rhymesayer Big K.R.I.T. on Away, his latest promo single and first DJBooth feature. As you’d expect from the headliner’s skillset, the record features a high-caliber live-band backdrop; effervescent keys and sax collide with classic samples (The “Louder!” from Mountain’s Long Red makes an appearance) as Whalums showcases his considerable vocal talents. K.R.I.T. matches the beat’s pensive tone in his extended middle verse, reflecting on the emptiness of material success and revisiting the grief he experienced upon his grandmother’s passing. This self-released jam isn’t part of a larger project, but we’ll keep you posted on Whalum’s 2014 plans as further details emerge.
Written by richard on 01/13/14
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.